According to a finding by the ASPCA, there is a new ingredient in a popular food item that most Americans have in their kitchens, that if ingested by a dog can kill them…
The new ingredient is called “xylitol,” a substitute sweetener that is naturally sourced, safe for diabetics, and has great dental benefits for humans.
It sounds great for people, but it’s deadly if consumed by a pup.
It is now being used in peanut butter. A favorite of many dogs.
According to the ASPCA, it is also used in sugar-free gum and mints, nicotine gum, chewable vitamins, oral-care products, and baked goods. “It can be purchased in a granulated form for baking and as a sweetener for cereals and beverages.” So it’s imperative that you check these items and keep them away from your pet if you have them at home.
To dogs, xylitol is extremely dangerous. Tiny amounts of the sweetener can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar and can lead to liver failure. This chart shows how a tiny amount can affect different dogs
It is also important to note that if you see your dog doing this, called “head pressing,” it may be a sign that they have ingested xylitol. Head pressing is a symptom of toxic poisoning, infection of the nervous system, a tumor, or head trauma.
Peanut butter brands it can be found in are Nuts ’N More® and Krush Nutrition, so it is important that you always read labels. Of course, many brands you’d find in the supermarket aisle are perfectly fine.
If you really want to play it safe, making your own peanut butter from scratch is easier than you think. Just roast a pan of peanuts, stick them in the blender, and add with just a pinch of salt. Your taste buds — and your dog — will thank you.